Sunday, December 09, 2012

Advent Calendar: December 9, 2012 - Grab Bag

The "Grab Bag" post for today's Advent Calendar is "author's choice ... a topic that helps you remember Christmases past".

What helps me remember past Christmases? One of the easiest ways is to look at photos of the days when my family would get together with relatives to celebrate Christmas.

We'd have three days of partying, starting with Réveillon that followed Midnight mass on Christmas Eve. Some years, Aunt Joan would have Réveillon at her home, while other years Mom hosted it at our home. We'd open our presents on Christmas morning (if we hadn't on Christmas Eve) and later have a big supper. The next day, we'd do the rounds visiting friends and family on Boxing Day and end up (most years) at my Aunt Jeanne d'arc's for supper.

Christmas circa 1957
My paternal grandparents (far left) with their children
and spouses, Christmas, about 1957.

Christmas circa 1961
My Laneville cousins, about 1961.

Christmas 1967
My Aunt Joan and Uncle Andy, their son André,
and (right) my Dad, Christmas, 1967.

Wherever we were, I still remember the sounds, the smells, and the joy of those long-ago Christmas days ...

Copyright © 2012, Yvonne Demoskoff.

2 comments:

  1. What wonderful photos and it's so interesting to read about other people's traditions and times of sharing. I too, seem to remember all those sounds and smells even more than ever this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fascinating how our memories can heighten our senses, isn't it? Thanks for commenting, Karen!

    ReplyDelete

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.