Monday, December 10, 2012

Sharing Memories (Week 50): Memories of Santa

It’s Week 50 of “52 weeks of Sharing Memories – A Genealogical Journey” at Olive Tree Genealogy Blog. The prompt for this week is it’s “[…] a good time to talk about our memories of Santa. Were you one of the lucky ones who went to a mall or department store and sat on Santa's knee?"

I have few personal memories of Santa. We didn’t have a mall in our town until I was 12 years old, and I don’t think our 2 or 3 (small) department stores featured a Santa at Christmas time.

I checked my family albums and found two sets of photos where my sister and I saw Santa. Both occasions were at Christmas parties (I don’t remember which organization(s) hosted them) when I was 5 and 6 years old. I sat on Santa’s lap when I was 5, but probably didn’t when I was 6. I think, instead, I tried reaching out for his beard – at least that’s what it looks like in the photo below.

Yvonne with Santa Claus 1963
Yvonne with Santa, 1963.
Yvonne with Santa Claus 1964
Yvonne with Santa, 1964.
When my son Nicholas was little, my husband and I took him to see the mall Santa, but we couldn’t get him near the jolly old fellow. Nicholas was in his ‘shy’ phase when he was about 1½ to 3 years old, and Michael and I didn’t feel like making him see a bearded man in a red suit if he didn’t want to. Nicholas didn’t mind looking at Santa from a respectable distance, though. Consequently, there aren’t any photos of him by or near Santa.

Copyright © 2012, Yvonne Demoskoff.

2 comments:

  1. Love your photos Yvonne! Looks like you're waving goodbye in the bottom one? Guess it was a decent Santa visit for you :-) What great memories.

    I remember shyness - my youngest son was terrified of Poke-a-Roo (sp?) and cried when I took him to see him at our local Library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lorine! I remember the tv show "Polka Dot Door" and Polkaroo; my brother used to watch it in the early 1970s. I can imagine how seeing Polkaroo up close could scare a little child :)

    ReplyDelete

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.